Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Picture This

This picture hangs in my living room.

It is the first thing you see when you enter my home.

But it is much more to me than just a beautiful art piece that my amazing artist-friend painted…(And incidentally, painted upside-down at that! www.alancapps.com)

It represents a picture of the last chapter in Behind Those Eyes, The Truth Heals.

As I’ve said before, The Truth Heals is my favorite chapter in the book, without a doubt. It resonates with me like none other, probably because it is the message that took me the longest to own. It was written, almost before any other word in the book. Before I knew exactly how the rest of the chapters would play out, I knew for sure where I wanted to end up…discovering what are the results of a truth-centered life: that of a healed, thriving existence. The results for me didn’t come easy. But I can say that they have been tried and tested and proven true.

To get there I have asked you, my girlfriends, to consider some things. I have asked you to do some things that were not necessarily easy or comfortable. I have asked you to get real and become vulnerable, maybe...for once...and prayerfully...forever.

The first time I introduced truth to you in this book in Chapter One, The Truth Hurts, it likely did not soothe you in the way you craved. Many of you told me so in your emails and posts and comments. Instead, it pushed you and challenged you and made you question whether or not the truth journey was really that important in the first place. You just don’t know how earnestly I prayed that you would stick around long enough to read the end of the story.

And nine chapters and many weeks of soul searching later, my prayer today is that looking at truth now incites different feelings for you than it did on week one. I pray you know today in the deepest place in your soul, all of these beautiful and true things that you are…

Imperfect.

Forgiven.

Loved.

Accepted.


When we are free to be imperfect, loved anyway, and created for a purpose, we see for ourselves that the benefits of facing truth far outweigh any temporary pain we might feel to get there. No matter how hurtful the initial heart digging might have been, it's my strongest belief that living in complete and total authenticity is worth the very painful extrication effort.

I hope and pray that is your testimony.

Now, friends, is the time to apply it. It’s time to live out the message in Behind Those Eyes…the message of TRUTH that the picture hanging on my living room wall represents. As I said in THIS POST (written on week one of the study), I can’t convince you to make the necessary application -- though in the 226 pages of this book, I have certainly presented you with my best plea. But at the end of the day, that is a decision only you can make.

With the study nearing its end, someone recently sent me an email and thanked me for the “simplicity” of this book. When I read the email, the word “simplicity” struck me and I immediately began to think of the book in those terms. Though I love and respect amazing literary works by gifted authors, I also acknowledge and appreciate that my writing translates as “simple” to the reader. I gratefully take the characterization, as I feel in good company. After all, the message of Jesus Christ is simple at its core. (Remember, Jesus said that He made His message easy enough for even children to understand...my paraphrase, of course.)

Yes, the message of Behind Those Eyes is simple, though that has not meant easy. For many of us, we never thought "simple" could be so hard! :) But perhaps the most significant thing we have taken from these past 9 weeks is the realization that growing deeper with God and thriving in life simply cannot happen if we miss the "simple" in search of what seems better. We can’t attend enough conferences to make us well. We can’t marry a good enough person or have enough children. We can’t find a job fulfilling enough. We can’t pretend our way into it.

Truth is simple, friends. But simple doesn’t mean trite. In this case, simple means rich…trouble-free…uncomplicated…and oh-so-fulfilling. It means forming relationships with people that are healthy, maybe for the first time in our life. It means laying our head on the pillow at night and knowing that our life is transparent enough that Satan cannot hold something over us to torture us with. It means having who we are in a heavenly perspective so that we will no longer be defined by any other terms. It means a life of wellness. It means a life of joy. It means a life of contentment. It means a life of purpose.

As you leave this study, my prayer is that the message of Psalm 26:3 will be forever etched on your heart…”for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth." Truth is a daily choice, my friends, hence the word "continually" in this verse. It is something we have to quite literally walk in everyday or we can easily fall into what we’ve fallen into before and walk away from it. And who wants to walk backwards? :)

So, yes to God girlfriends, always think "truth." Always remember "The Real Deal" about who you are. Always run toward health and healing. And know that I will cheer you on, every step of the glorious way!

You have touched my heart in ways you will never understand. Finally getting to hear from you -- the women I sat for hours and wrote this book for – getting to "meet" you, whether living in my backyard or corresponding from across the pond – getting to hear how this book has ministered to your heart…well, you will never know what that has meant. The comments and posts you have written have gone deep. The emails you sent have been read, valued, and prayed over. They have made me remember why God had me write this book in the first place. They have reminded me of how alike we all truly are, in this great big world we temporarily reside in. You have become my girlfriends. And please know that when I make friends, I make them for life.

The fact that you are here, reading this today confirms that God answered my prayer that you would become "convincable" on week one. Thank you for sticking in there and choosing truth. You will never be sorry you journeyed down this path. And remember that the TRUTH is always with you, whether you have His picture hanging in your living room to remind you of that, or not. Walk in it, dear friends. Never stop.

I love you...and I mean it!

post signature

16 comments:

Amy L Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing Lisa. It has been good. I am so glad that the truth heals!

Thanks for being part of the study. It was encouraging that you were willing to do that and listen/read all of our reflections on what you and God wrote.

Love ya'!

Amy

Heather - On the Road... said...

Dear Lisa,
I have been stalling on writing my last post on your book. I read the chapter over the weekend, and just cried when I was done. I haven't done the study questions yet. I couldn't bring myself to. I don't want it to end. I think that I can speak for many others in that.

The past nine weeks have seen enormous changes in my life. 9 weeks ago, i didn't know if i would ever get over a rape I suffered at the hands of a former boyfriend. I didn't know if I would ever recover from being cut down during student teaching. I didn't know if I would ever feel comfortable being me, all my flaws and mistakes included, or ever feel good about leaving my counselor and walking out on my own with God.

Lisa, God used your book as a huge part of my healing. I gave the book title to my counselor, and I may just hand over my copy to her, for her to have... She was very impressed with what I was telling her about it... she got her Master's at Liberty, so she knows the place, and told me last week she had to get her hands on it...
Anyway, God has sure used your book. From where I was nine weeks ago to now... Lisa, I have worked through that all. I had an appointment with Tricia this week, and called and canceled and moved it out to the beginning of December... because I don't feel the necessity for going in tomorrow, and know that I have some other things I need to work through on my own before i go see her... namely to continue to pray for someone...

Like you said, though this book is very simple in its message, straight forward, straight talking, it is profound in the effect it has had on my life... challenging, stretching, uncomfortable... and times where I just told God NO!!! in no uncertain terms.
But He has grown me in amazing ways, and you and this blog study have been instrumental.

Thank you for walking along with us in this. It has been so great to know you are reading, and rejoicing, crying, and praying with us through this all. Truly I have been blessed.
May God bless you, dear sister,
Heather

Leaon Mary said...

Lisa Whittle,
I'm glad I waited to read your post til after I'd written mine. *sigh*
I've done alot of reading and studying lately.. but NOTHING has ever affected me as this has. I don't know how to thank you?
Also, when you wrote me that one day and said you'd prayed for me by my name... my heart did flipflops. It was "then" that I knew you were "really" FOR REAL. I needed that ... that day... and I'll never forget you.
Holykisses,
Lea

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for writing this book!! Your obedience to God has touched so many women including myself!!

I agree with what you wrote:
"Truth is a daily choice"

It is not a once-and-done magic formula but a daily, deliberate choice and outward realization!

You are a gift!

Love ya,
Kim

Paula V said...

This is a very touching 'finale' post. I've enjoyed this. I'm very thankful not only for the chance to read and learn from this book but also to have you, the author, journey with us.
Much love,
Paula

Jill Beran said...

Lisa, I will echo everyone's thoughts and say, "Thank you!" God has used your words and though they may be simple, they are powerful and that's what I needed. I didn't think I had much behind my eyes when this journey began, but oh was I wrong and I can't explain how freeing this walk has been. The timing of all of this is obviously God's and I look forward to what is to come. I pray God continues to bless you in your obedience to him and work for him. Thank you and I pray our paths cross once again.
In Him,
Jill

{darlene} said...

Lisa, I must thank you. Your book was wonderful. Thank you for being obedient to God's calling. He has blessed you with the gifts of exhortation and teaching. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us... or as you said, becoming empty, and allowing Him to fill you.

I have learned so much through your words, examples, and the blessing of blogging about each chapter. I just love how the Lord is using the Internet for His Good!

It has been an honor to get to know you, to call you friend, and to grow in Christian fellowship and love with you. Maybe you will join us on our next "Yes to God" study? Your comments served as such a blessing to me, and a deep enhancement to my learning process with this book.

I love Truth. I love Him. I love that He IS Truth, and that He never fails us. I long for more of Him...

Thank you, again, obedient servant.
In Love,
Darlene

Laura said...

Lisa,

This has been an amazing journey, Dear Heart! Thank you for these words. You are a very special lady and I am so excited to follow your work for the Lord.

I am taking your challenge to live authentically, Lisa!

You bless...

Lelia Chealey said...

Okay...totally crying here. This was an awesome ending to an incredibly awesome book Lisa. Thank you again for your obedience to say yes to God and write this and then live it out.
I love the picture and didn't see Jesus' face at first glance and when I skipped a breath. Beautiful!

Thank you for shoving me closer to God. My walk with Him is not the same it was in September when we began this journey. Each study we have done just draws me closer to Him and we know what happens when we draw close to Him, He draws close to us. I just want to live a life that is all about Him. My desire for Him has increased. I want to smell Him, taste Him, see Him and just be held by Him. He is so worth everything and I don't ever want to pretend again. I want to be real. With Him and for Him.
Lisa...can't wait till the day we sit down together. You know I love you & thank you again for sharing such an authentic heart. Thank you for not keeping this part of your journey with Him to yourself.
Love you much,
Lelia

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A heartfelt concluding exhortation. Thank you friend.

peace~elaine

Carol said...

Dear Lisa,

Thank you, for being apart of this journey with us. I have yet to complete the last two chapters. I've gotten sick and can't focus my thoughts But I will not let that keep me from completeing my study.

As I told you before I even joined the study you were one of my inspirations to start blogging my journey. Then when the study came out it was obvious that God was doing things. I have shared more and dug deeper than ever before. God used you to give me the tools to unlock those things.

Please know that I will be a regular on your blog, so you'll be hearing from me, and as soon as my posts are up I will let you know.

Thank you for your guidence, insight, and your friendship.

Love,
Carol

LynnSC said...

Lisa,
I just want to say thank you for your obedience to God to write this message to us. I have gained so much from you book... and I am totally honored that you went along on this journey with us.

I have so loved being a part of this study.
Love ya,
Lynn

Heather - On the Road... said...

Lisa,
I just wanted to let you know that I finally got my post up.

And along with everyone else, I am so grateful that you have allowed God to use you as you have. You have been authentic and real, and it has inspired all of us to be the same. It has helped break down the walls that kept us from sharing our hearts, when we have seen you sharing your heart and struggles.

Thank you so much.
God bless you immensely!
Love, your sister in Christ,
Heather

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

May I be so bold and humbliny say I found this book to be anything but simple? Depending on where a person has been in their life, the concepts of living in truth, simple as implied, are not as easy to live out or am I alone in this? Your book walked me through a deseperate need in my own life and I am so appreciative of it. I now feel living in truth has been obtained within my own life and I hope to live it out simply but I cannot imagine satan won't continue to throw out challeneges in this still. This simplicity is huge within itself and I embrace it!
Thank you for following God's lead with this book and as I stated before, it is my earnest prayer that more lives will be as dramatically effected as the lives withih this blog Bible study group. Thank you!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa! I finally finished my post in the wee hours of this morning (I now have toothpicks holding up my eyelids:)). I didn't write out even an 8th of what I have going on in my heart and mind, and what I did get down... well, I'm not sure I did the study justice, but, wow!, I got giddy thinking... So, I kind of just let it 'spill out' onto the keyboard, and 'become' what it is... I have garnished so much from this study, and sometimes I've been left exhausted, sometimes exhilirated, depending on a variety of things; but suffice it to say, this book's been an insightful gem. It has helped me to develop confidence in myself, that I have struggled with for far too long, enabling me to actually believe that I AM on the right track with how I'm living and learning. As well, it has really helped with putting away the old 'war wounds' and I'm forever grateful for that! Let me tell you!!! Thanks a bunch:) You're wonderful! Please stay in touch, and whenever you're in Australia, I'll be happy to drive you all around the countryside to all your speaking engagements - we'll do the scenic drives, and stop off for the lattes and tartlets... how does that sound?!!:) Loads of love...

Unknown said...

Lisa: We love you too! Thank you for challenging us to pursue truth and be authentic.

I pray that we get to meet someday. I didn't get to meet you at She Speaks this past summer. Maybe we can meet sometime halfway between Raleigh and where you live :)

I'm following your blog so you;re stuck with me now either way. Thank you thank you for being real with us and helping us to be real.

Many blessings to you!