Monday, February 18, 2008

The Extremely Overrated T-Shirt -- Dissatisfaction with Life (Part 1)

Somewhere between a risk taker and a scaredy cat is where I exist.

I don’t like roller coasters with upside-down loopy loops…extreme sports…or highflying adventures. But I also don’t like sitting on the sidelines and watching other people have all the fun, either.

No, I do want to miss out on anything. I don’t like to be the last one to know. And I simply won’t settle for less.

In talking with other women, I know I am not alone with my preferences. If we’re honest, most of us will admit that we often possess an internal craving for a life more exciting than the one we currently have, where all of our longings and wildest dreams can be fully realized. It’s that feeling that we have missed out on something or might be missing out on something. It’s that desire to live out a life more full, much richer, and far more satisfying than the life we currently lead.

Unfortunately, often our dissatisfactions are misunderstood and misdirected.

We think our boredom in life is due to a marriage with a barely-there pulse, so we look for more excitement in a relationship outside the marriage. We suspect that looking better or having more will introduce significance back to our soul. We venture into cheap thrills, partying and compromises to make our life ok. Then we are surprised when the inner longing still exists.

Kinda reminds me of a guy in the Bible named Solomon.

A revered king, Solomon tasted everything the world had to offer and then some. He was rich, powerful, smart, popular and enjoyed worldly pleasure at every turn. He had been there, done that, and gotten the extremely over-rated t-shirt. Experienced and reflective, Solomon penned some thoughts on his past scrambling for fulfillment in life…

“All is meaningless…utterly meaningless.” (Eccles. 12:8)

Solomon was pretty short and to the point in his findings. Apparently, he also learned things the hard way. (Which is, incidentally, something he and I happen to have in common.:)) And his search for MORE contains an eerily familiar tune that most of us have at some time marched to.

As many of us have learned, the relationships we get into that compromise our marriage bring us down and are ultimately meaningless. So are the pills and the partying, by the way. Oh, and looking good doesn’t mean anything with an inner longing the size of Texas raging within us.

All of us want more. All of us want to be thrilled and excited, out of our minds. All of us need something to last longer than our last indulgence did.

Yet…

In the midst of the scramble remains The Constant.

Jesus.

The Constant offers us the ever meaningful. The always exciting. And the ultimate in satisfaction.

The problem is, we are often unavailable to travel with Him because we are too busy trying to purchase the extremely over-rated t-shirt of been there, done that. Choosing the ill fitting, pricey, doesn’t look good on you, anyway, instead of the fast, furious, risky, exciting, mind-blowing, over-the-edge, thrilling and exhilarating fits-you-like-a-glove ride of your life.

Some of my missionary friends could have chosen to purchase the extremely overrated t-shirt, but they are instead living out a life that is so rich and full and risky and amazing that they have no need for a shrinkable cotton souvenir. Instead they are tripping out on an amazing and exciting ride with God Himself, experiencing the satisfaction and fulfillment of a life only He can provide. And among them, not a desperate housewife to be found.

It doesn’t take a renegade to want to live that kind of life. It just takes a person stuck between risk taker and scaredy cat who is some more afraid of getting left behind, out of the loop, or the last one to know.

I’m not willing to settle for a life that is less than what my heart cries out for. I guess you could call it the call of the not-so wild. It sounds sort-of risky, I know. But I just don’t want to miss out on anything.

Lisa

P.S. Next Monday, I will post part 2 of this post. In it, I will introduce you to a book that has challenged me and motivated me to tap into my inner “barbarian” to satisfy my urges. Now that’s what I call a hint!

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Jesus is!
Thanks.

Amy L Brooke said...

Great post! Your right, sometimes we do get dissatisfied with our lives even when we shouldn't.

Thanks for the prayer. I appreciate it. Don't know why you couldn't leave a message. I'll probalby know more in the next couple of days. I put my name in the hopper and imagine they will get back to me as needed.

NIU doesn't reopen until the 24th. If I go or not to help out, please pray for those students. Thanks!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Great post Lisa!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Lisa, I don't want to miss out on anything either!! So speaks to me!!!! Two years ago, a calamity opened a door no man can shut. And I am alive in ways I never was for three decades where I lived trying to be an overcomer from gang rape and losing 6 babies and severe childhood trauma. But, my beautiful God today is detaching me through suffering and blessings from dependence on anything that brings life, and joy, and satisfaction other than HIM. And it is so good! I absolutely adore reading your posts. "We 'read' to know we are not alone." Your posts bring me to a deeper read of my sovereign God. Thank you so much! See you next Monday---you cliffhanger!

Lelia Chealey said...

HI Lisa!
I need to stop coming by for a visit because you always have "truth" ready for me!!! ;) I love it!
It seems that when God gives me something I've asked for I don't even finish my prayer of thanks before I'm off to the next "want".
This paragraph in your post particularly jabbed me in my heart as I have regretfully lived it...
We think our boredom in life is due to a marriage with a barely-there pulse, so we look for more excitement in a relationship outside the marriage. We suspect that looking better or having more will introduce significance back to our soul.
Uggggh!! I just came across this quote from a book that someone had posted on her blog~
“Why should we keep our vows? Because they will keep us from wasting our lives, from squandering the sweetest gifts life can offer, and from coming down to our final days and saying, “It was all so meaningless.” God has a better plan for you and me than that sad ending. But we can only discover it if we’re willing to keep our promises.”

Just reminded me of what you said about the words written from Solomon's heart. It's all just meaningless choices for nothing but deeper regret.
Thanks for sharing my friend!
Love ya,
Lelia