Monday, November 3, 2008

Your Bio According to I John

Gotta question for you this morning.

When this little pink angel princess takes off her wings, will she still be a pink angel princess?

I know, I know…a rather interesting thought to ponder on a Monday morning, right? But I promise, this blog DOES have a point. :)

Recently, I wrote an article for a magazine and I was asked to send the publishers a 50-word bio to tell the readers a little bit about who I was. I wrote the typical bio, describing me as a wife and mom and author and communicator and sent it on. But when I got the proof back several months later and read over the information I gave them, the words I had written to give me identity suddenly didn’t sit well with me.

I thought back to the time when my husband lost his job. Prior to that time, if you had asked me to define who I was to you, I would have surely included in my personal description the title of “ministry wife,” as my husband held a prestigious position in a thriving non-profit organization. But when that job was lost, I found myself as a ministry wife no longer.

But even though my title had changed due to circumstance, I was still the same me. Only now I was a “former ministry wife” of a “really awesome guy who held no ministry position.” It was in those months of fear and desperation that I began to realize that who I was would need to be defined by something other than my husband’s job in the future. Otherwise, "I" might never stop changing.

It was a great lesson for me to learn, though sometimes I still forget. Sometimes I have to remind myself of the very real danger in defining myself by the ways God lets me use my gifts, my time and my energies. Though I love the “roles” God has blessed me with in my life, I cannot base my identity on them. Because as I learned with my husband’s job, defining myself by any outside position will cause a major identity crisis if and when that outside position changes. And as uncertain as life is, that is likely, at some point, to happen.

Some of you can attest to this, as you have had life throw changes at you in every direction. Some of you know what it’s like to define yourself as something, only to see that definition crumble before your very eyes. Some of you have had to “re-define” your life, working with a different definition than you originally thought or even, chose.

Girlfriends...we need to remember that what defines us is not our marital status, our job, our accomplishments or anything else that is built on status or circumstance, as wonderful and awesome as they may be. But rather, who we are is based upon our spiritual heritage…our inheritance of faith as a beautifully created daughter of God (Psalm 139). We are not our tagline, our bio or our resume. As I have said in many blogs before, we are not what we do.

My bio has now changed. Where I used to list my credentials and roles in life as who I am I now list them as the things God graciously lets me do in this season of my life. Lisa Whittle is no longer listed as a “wife, mother, author and communicator,” but a “beautifully created daughter of God who fulfills her life purpose by being a wife and mom, a communicator to women and author.” It is a bio I can feel comfortable with, knowing that my status as a daughter of God won’t change based on what else happens in my life.

It's also a lesson my pink "princessy" daughter needs to know so that when she takes off her pink princess angel wings she will still feel “princessy.” Not because of the costume she wears, but because of her status in the eternal Kingdom of God that is rightly worn on the inside.

May she and all of us know today that we are not our tagline.

May we define ourselves by our bio found in I John 3:1, and may we live in celebration of it.

"How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

post signature



P.S. More tomorrow, Yes to God girlfriends, for chapter 8. Can't wait to roll around in the message of that chapter! :)

13 comments:

God Chaser said...

Awesome advice. I am not what I do because what I do even in the church changes- being a daughter of the King will never change. thanks

Vickie said...

Revelation indeed Lisa. It is making me take a look at how I define myself.

thanks
Vickie

LeeBird3 said...

Hmm...something to think about.

Leebird is a cherished daughter of the King thriving under His loving and constant attention. Her heart's ambition is to follow hard after God and encourage others to do the same. She is joined on her journey by her husband, her three sons, and the host of family and friends with whom she has been blessed.

Cynthia said...

What a great message to tune into this morning! Thanks! I'm challenged to really think about how I define myself.

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

beauiful post my friend!!! my thoughts of identity have changed so much here as well... I am all His!! Love you, Leigh

On Purpose said...

Self evaulating and finding my identity in Christ alone!

Paula V said...

Much to ponder. I seem to identify myself with the lack of mother and wife role right now and that is very heartbreaking to me. It makes me feel less or that I'm missing what everyone else has. I know that is not true. I have the greatest of all: Jesus and that should be enough so why isn't it?
Love,
Paula

{darlene} said...

I LOVE this post. This is a lesson that God has allowed me to learn first hand, as he sifted me in a season of identity change.

I have 2 degrees in singing. Singing Opera, no less. My voice was my identity. I was "Darlene the singer."

Until God took my voice away.

OH, there is sooo much more to this story, that is filled with hard, hard lessons learned, and living-the-thing daily with my Lord.

And now, I am on the other side of the mountain. But I am not the same. I am "Darlene, daughter of God. Lover of the Lord. Walking toward Him, who is the only thing Worth Walking Toward." and I am more. I am all that HE says I am.

My voice will never be exactly as it was. Nor will my soul, praise Him. I now know my TRUE identity.

Last month, I sang a high C in church, for the first time since 2003. and it was ALL about Him.

Made new in Him,
Darlene

Lisa said...

Paula...
I hear you, friend. Loud and clear.

We KNOW these things in our head but putting them into practice are insurmountably harder -- ALMOST impossibly so. Some seasons I live it better than others. I blog about this today, not because I have it conquered but because according to God's Word I know it is true and want to challenge both myself and others to truly "own" our identity in Christ. Part of that difficult process is in changing my mindset about what defines me as a person. It is not the solution, but it is a great step in the process. It is in our greatest loss that we find Him. Sometimes, though, that loss rules our emotions and we can't quite get there. It's my belief that in times like those He looks at us, not in judgment of what we SHOULD believe, but with eyes of love and grace for us to see how our life can be rich and full without anyone or anything but Him. I hear your struggle and although I am in a different life circumstance, I join with you in the desire to long for Him exclusively while wanting to define my circumstances in the process. It is my greatest flesh battle.

Paula, I am not there. I just pray everyday I get a little closer.

Much love,
Lisa

Paula V said...

Thank you, Lisa, for hearing my pain and my struggle. I particularly needed to hear this:

"Sometimes, though, that loss rules our emotions and we can't quite get there. It's my belief that in times like those He looks at us, not in judgment of what we SHOULD believe, but with eyes of love and grace for us to see how our life can be rich and full without anyone or anything but Him."

Thanks so very much. I hope to get where He wants me emotionally one day...preferably sooner than later. I definitely covet your prayers.

Love ya,
Paula

Joyful said...

Sometimes it comes down to knowing this truth and choosing to believe it. Our feelings so often mess up who we think we are, as do compliments or criticisms from others. Regardless of feelings or how things look or what I do, I AM a dearly loved child of God, and that bio alone accompanies a princess to eternity.

His,
Joy

Amy L Brooke said...

This is wonderful. You are right. Taking off a princess costume doesn't make us any less a princess in God's kingdome.

Mary R Snyder said...

Lisa -- God is working through your words. Amazing stuff, this identity in Christ, even when I don't feel worthy to even speak His name, I'm still His child.
Thank you from this saved-by-grace-daughter-of-THE-King!!

Mary